May 13, 2014

A Blast from My Past

This past weekend for Mother's Day I went to visit my mother (cause I like her and she's my mom and stuff).  She wanted to organize and rearrange her craft/guest room while I was there, so we were busy all day.  While going through some of her fabric, I thought some of it was quite hilarious and had to share.


I haven't seen these cut-and-sew panel thingies in years but looking at this particular one, I think I'm ok with that.  My mom  wants to inform you all that I just about died with laughter after finding out the circles around the vest are to make yo-yo's to go ON to the vest (supposedly embellishing it).  She threatened to make it and give it to me as a gift.  She has an awesome sense of humor.


Star Trek fabric!  I look at this piece and remember all the years of watching Star Trek because with my dad in charge of the TV, it was that or nothing.  I guess you can find just about anything these days, but this was bought at least 15 years ago.  That makes it almost vintage for sewing.


My mom says this is Daisy Kingdom fabric.  I remember when my little sister was about 4, I found a Daisy Kingdom dress at a garage sale around the corner from home and brought it home for her.  That's about the extent of my Daisy Kingdom experience besides a few patterns found in bargain bins at the fabric stores (except my mom just informed me the vest up above is also Daisy Kingdom). 


We found some vintage UFO's in my mom's craft room too.  Like this blouse.  She has it all finished except buttonholes and button.  I actually tried it on and think it'd be cute over a shirt with a single button to keep it half closed.


The neckline has this cute curve that looks like it should be folded over/ironed into a lapel.  I think the print is super cute and this shirt is totally wearable (so she should finish it).


Here's another UFO of my mom's.  I feel I should mention that both of these were made when I was really, really little (read over 20 years ago). This one is a button-down midi-skirt with patch pockets.  I've totally seen these coming back into style, yet another wearable garment- if it were finished.  


She's already finished the hard part in my opinion- all those buttonholes!  I think I counted 8 total, that's 8 more than I'm usually willing to do (I'm a big fan of sewing clothes with closures that don't involve buttonholes).


It's even marked where the buttons need to go.  The ONLY thing not done on this skirt is the buttons.  I vote this one should be finished too.


This is actually one of my unstarted projects from elementary school.  We used to have a dress code before uniforms at the school I attended and I was going to make this dress (view B).  There was another girl in my grade who wore dresses with buttons and sleeves and I usually wore jumpers.  I wanted my own dress with buttons and sleeves so I intended to make this one.   Obviously it never happened, the fabric didn't even get cut.


A close up of the fabric I chose in 5th grade.  I still like it!


I adore this fabric.  Look at how much cuteness is contained in one cut of cloth.  Those airplanes kill me!  I can totally picture this made into a little boys shirt with the airplane stripe going across mid-chest.  


This is the phone pic my mom snapped for Facebook.  I think we did a good job.  Lots of work but now it's a space capable of lots of fun (sewing- duh!).  I also cleaned and organized my own room right before I drove to my mom's (no pics, it's boring), but now I better cool it on the cleaning front before my housemate expects me to start picking up my crafting projects.  Hehe.


No comments:

Post a Comment